Log in
  

Netflix Ending 'House of Cards' Following Kevin Spacey Sexual Harassment Allegation

30 Oct, 2017 By: Erik Gruenwedel


Kevin Spacey in lead role on political-intrigue series


Netflix reportedly will end its critically acclaimed original series “House of Cards" following the show’s sixth season in 2018.

The SVOD pioneer cited revelations regarding lead actor Kevin Spacey’s alleged illegal sexual advances on a 14-year-old boy in 1986 when the actor was 28.

The boy, Anthony Rapp, who is now starring in the CBS All Access original series “Star Trek: Discovery,” made the allegations Oct. 29. Spacey, in a statement, offered no recollection of the incident but did offer an apology to Rapp for any "inappropriate drunken behavior."

Co-producers of “House of Cards” Media Rights Capital and Netflix said they remain “deeply troubled” by the allegations.

“In response to last night’s revelations [by Rapp], executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time, the companies said in a joint statement, as reported by Deadline.com.

“House of Cards” helped Netflix launch its original content mainstream, generating national buzz, including nine Primetime Emmy nominations in 2013 — a first for an online-only series. The series has won 29 awards on 193 nominations, including Golden Globes through the fifth season.

In addition to Spacey, Robin Wright, Corey Stoll, Michael Kelly, Molly Parker, Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali, Ellen Burstyn, Rachel Brosnahan, Kate Mara and Paul Sparks have won individual acting awards.

The series is distributed on disc by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

 


Add Comment