'Star Trek Beyond' on Digital HD Oct. 4, Disc Nov. 120 Sep, 2016 By: John Latchem
Paramount Home Media Distribution will release Star Trek Beyond on Digital HD Oct. 4, and on DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Nov. 1. The film will also be part of the Star Trek Trilogy Blu-ray collection.
Star Trek Beyond is the 13th in the “Star Trek” franchise, and the third film since J.J. Abrams’ reboot in 2009 shifted the focus to younger versions of the crew from the original series, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
Directed by Justin Lin and produced by Abrams, the film stars Chris Pine as Capt. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy, Simon Pegg as Scotty, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, John Cho as Sulu and Anton Yelchin as Chekov, with Idris Elba playing the villain.
Blu-ray extras include deleted scenes, a gag reel and several featurettes:
• “Beyond the Darkness” — Abrams, Lin and co-writers Pegg and Doug Jung discuss the inspiration for the Star Trek Beyond storyline and the making of the film.
• “Enterprise Takedown” — a look at an attack on the U.S.S. Enterprise.
• “Divided and Conquered” — Learn how filmmakers pushed the boundaries in Star Trek Beyond by forcing the Enterprise crew into their most challenging situations yet.
• “A Warped Sense of Revenge” — Elba reveals the backstory and ambitions of his character, Krall.
• “Trekking in the Desert” — Go on set to Dubai and discover how its futuristic architecture became the foundation for the most innovative Starbase yet.
• “Exploring Strange New Worlds” — Lin shows off the film’s sets
• “New Life, New Civilizations” — See how special effects designers met the challenge to create an unprecedented 50 new alien species for the film to celebrate Star Trek's 50th Anniversary.
• “To Live Long and Prosper” — Journey through the past 50 years of Star Trek with J.J. Abrams and the cast as they reflect on the evolution of this iconic sci-fi series.
• “For Leonard and Anton” — a tribute to “Trek” actors Yelchin and Leonard Nimoy.
The single-disc DVD includes the film with no bonus features.