'Fifty Shades of Grey' Gets May 8 Retail Date24 Mar, 2015 By: Erik Gruenwedel
Universal's 2015 box office leader gets week-early digital release May 1
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will release current 2015 box office champ Fifty Shades of Grey on Digital HD May 1, followed by disc May 8.
Based on E. L. James’ best-selling novel, the Blu-ray Disc ($34.98) and Digital HD ($14.98) releases include unrated versions of the movie featuring a never-before-seen alternate ending along with about two hours of bonus features. The DVD, which does not include the unrated version or alternate ending, sells for $29.98.
The dark romance features shy and unassuming literature student Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson), who finds her life forever altered when she interviews charismatic entrepreneur Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) and is dazzled by his high-flying lifestyle. As the pair embarks on a passionate affair, Ana soon discovers that Grey has dark secrets and desires that will push her to the limits of her imagination — and beyond.
Grey, which currently sits atop the yearly domestic box office with $163.8 million in ticket sales, has generated nearly $560 million globally in theaters.
In addition to the unrated and theatrical versions, the Blu-ray release includes several exclusive special features:
• “The World of Fifty Shades of Grey” includes in-depth profiles of stars Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, and the characters they play;
• “Christian Grey,” an exploration of what makes him so magnetic and mysterious, including a “Christian Grey Profile,” illustrated with film clips; a “Jamie Dornan Profile”; featurettes such as “Christian’s Apartment” and “Christian’s Wardrobe”; and “A Rich Man’s Toys,” a look at Christian’s cars, the plane, the helicopter, all of the recognizable items from the book;
• “Ana,” discovering Ana and what makes her so compelling and relatable, including “All About Ana,” “Dakota Johnson Profile," “Ana’s World” and “Ana’s Wardrobe.”
• “E.L. James & Fifty Shades,” A chat with the creator of ‘Fifty Shades’ discussing the history of the novel and the experience making the film.
• “Fifty Shades: The Pleasure of Pain”: A discussion with the BDSM consultant and a show-and-tell with property master.
• Virtual 360° set tours of Christian and Ana’s apartments, including the Red Room
• Music videos from Skylar Grey, The Weeknd and Ellie Goulding; and behind the scenes of The Weeknd’s “Earned It” music video.
Extras on both the Blu-ray and DVD include:
• “The World of Fifty Shades of Grey — Friends and Family”: Profiles of cast members, including Eloise Mumford, Max Martini, Marcia Gay Harden, Luke Grimes, Jennifer Ehle, Victor Rasuk and Rita Ora.
• “Behind the Shades”: Follow alongside director Sam Taylor-Johnson, producers E. L. James, Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti, actors Dornan, Johnson and the rest of the cast through the making of the movie, including a candid discussion about the most challenging aspects of the story.