Michael Jackson Death Spurs 2.3M Album CD Sales15 Jul, 2009 By: Erik Gruenwedel
The King of Pop may be gone, but album CD sales of the icon’s music legacy have generated 2.3 million units since his death June 25, including 1.1 units sold for the week ended July 12, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Jackson’s death continues to be a boon for the beleaguered retail music industry with Trans World Entertainment’s f.y.e. (Four Your Entertainment) chain reporting triple-digit sales (including music DVDs) at its 700 stores.
Jackson’s Number Ones collection remains the top-selling album in the United States (through July 15) for the third week in a row, with 349,000 copies sold, up 3% from the previous week, according to Nielsen.
The top 12 album CDs sold through July 12 were all Jackson-related, including two Jackson 5 compilations, according to Billboard.
Sales of Jackson's digital tracks have totaled 2.5 million units in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand, according to Nielsen.
Top Pop Catalog Albums Chart (Week Ending 7/12/2009)
1) Michael Jackson Number Ones
2) Michael Jackson The Essential Michael Jackson
3) Michael Jackson Thriller
4) Michael Jackson Off The Wall
5) Michael Jackson Bad
6) Michael Jackson Dangerous
7) Jackson 5 The Ultimate Collection
8) Jackson 5 The Best of Jackson 5: 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection
9) Michael Jackson Greatest Hits: HIStory — Volume 1
10) Michael Jackson HIStory: Past, Present and Future Book 1
11) Michael Jackson Invincible
12) Michael Jackson The Ultimate Collection