NPD Report: Video Game Eruption Continues in First Half With Fourth-Quarter Fireworks Yet to Come26 Jul, 2001 By: Hive News
Retail sales of U.S. videogame hardware, software and accessories increased 28% during the first half of 2001(January-June), compared to the same time last year, according to The NPD Group Inc.
Unit sales of video game hardware, software and accessories also rose 11% during the first half of2001 vs. first half 2000.
"The sales boost in the first six months of the year is great news for the video game industry considering video game sales for annual 2000 were down for the first time since 1997," said RichardOw, account executive, NPD Interactive Entertainment.
"We anticipate 2001 to be a very profitable year for the video game industry. This is especially true since 50% or more of the sales usually come during the fourth quarter. Even more importantly, two highly anticipated systems, GameCube and Xbox, will debut this November," Ow added.
According to NPD, the continued sales growth was driven by many factors. These included the hardware sales of Sony PlayStation 2, the launch of Game Boy Advance and decreased price pointsof the Sega Dreamcast.
Ow adds, "While PS2 and Game Boy Advance software is flying off the shelves, the older generation of software from the PlayStation, Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color systems still comprise almost 75% of the year-to-date sales.
"The new systems will need consistent injections of high-quality, jaw-dropping games with unique content to drive sales of the newer, more expensive hardware systems. Super Mario Advance and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec are two examples of unique first-party software that are major drivers of hardware sales," Ow said.
Top 10 Video Game Titles Ranked on Units Sold
(January - June 2001)
1. N64: Pokemon: Stadium 2 (Nintendo) March 2001
2. GBC: Pokemon Silver (Nintendo) October 2000
3. GBC: Pokemon Gold (Nintendo) October 2000
4. PS2: Madden NFL 2001 (Electronic Arts) October 2000
5. GBA: Super Mario Advance (Nintendo) June 2001
6. PSX: Gran Turismo 2 (Sony) December 1999
7. PS2: NBA Live 2001 (Electronic Arts) January 2001
8. N64 Paper Mario (Nintendo) February 2001
9. PS2: Onimusha: Warlords (Capcom) March 2001
10. PSX: Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (Activision) September 2000