HIVE EXCLUSIVE RESEARCH: 'Dr. Dolittle 2' Tops Video Rental Charts in Battle of the Sequels31 Oct, 2001 By: Melinda Saccone
Dr. Dolittle 2 took the top spot on the video rental charts its first week in stores. The comic sequel, from 20th Century Fox, generated an estimated $7.32 million in combined DVD and VHS rental revenue for the week ending Oct. 28.
Dr. Dolittle 2 narrowly beat another sequel, Universal's The Mummy Returns, which dropped to No. 2 with rental revenues of $7.07 million.
The Mummy Returns had been the top rental since its Oct. 2 release and has earned a total of $38.1 million at the rental counter.
Two other new releases made it into the Top 10 their first week in stores. Columbia TriStar's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within debuted at No. 3 with estimated rental revenue of $5.21 million, while Fox's Freddy Got Fingered bowed at No. 6 with $3.86 million.
In total, consumers spent an estimated $168.4 million on video rentals in the week ending Oct. 28, up 1.7% from the previous week but down 11.7% from the comparable week in 2000.
So far this year, consumers have spent $8.06 billion on video rentals, up 8.7% from the spending total at the same time last year.
DVD rental spending so far this year stands at $1.08 billion, or 13.5% of the year-to-date total.
The top 10 rentals for the week ending Oct. 28:
1. Dr. Dolittle 2, Fox, $7.32 million
2. The Mummy Returns, Universal, $7.07 million
3. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Columbia TriStar, $5.21 million
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, Buena Vista/Miramax, $4.59 million
5. Along Came a Spider, Paramount, $4.25 million
6. Freddy Got Fingered, Fox, $3.86 million
7. A Knight's Tale, Columbia TriStar, $3.55 million
8. Heartbreakers, MGM, $3.47 million
9. Spy Kids, Buena Vista/Dimension, $3.22 million
10. Angel Eyes, Warner, $3 million