'Get Smart' Among Top Nominees for TV DVD Awards15 Oct, 2007 By: John Latchem
Time Life's and HBO Video's complete-series set of the classic 1960s spy comedy “Get Smart” was one of several titles earning multiple nominations among the 16 categories for the fourth annual TV DVD Awards. DVD sets of “Lost,” “Seinfeld” and “The Muppet Show” also received multiple noms.
The winners, based on a consumer vote, will be announced Nov. 12, during a gala dinner and cocktail reception at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Century City, Calif. The awards are presented by Home Media Magazine in cooperation with TVShowsOnDVD.com, DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group and The Hollywood Reporter.
“TV DVD has become an integral segment of home entertainment, and we want to continue to honor that impact on our industry,” said Thomas K. Arnold, Home Media Magazine publisher and editorial director.
To be eligible, titles must have been released between Sept. 1, 2006, and Sept. 30, 2007. A blue-ribbon panel of judges rated each title based on the complete DVD treatment, including program content, bonus materials and packaging. More than 160 submissions were considered.
Consumers can vote for their favorites from Oct. 15 through 26 at HomeMediaMagazine.com and TVShowsonDVD.com. (Click here to vote.)
The nominees include:
- Best 2000s Series: 24: Season 5 (20th Century Fox Home Entertainment), Deadwood: Season 3 (HBO), Heroes: Season 1 (Universal Studios Home Entertainment) and Lost: Season 2 (Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment).
- Best 1990s Series: Not Just the Best of The Larry Sanders Show (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment), Picket Fences: Season 1 (Fox), The Practice Vol. 1 (Fox) and Seinfeld: Season 8 (Sony Pictures).
- Best 1980s Series: Cagney & Lacey: Season 1 (Fox/MGM), Fraggle Rock: Season 3 (Fox/HIT Entertainment), The Greatest American Hero: The Complete Series (Starz Home Entertainment/Anchor Bay) and St. Elsewhere: Season 1 (Fox).
- Best 1970s Series: The Muppet Show: Season 2 (Disney); The Odd Couple: Season 1 (Time Life/Paramount Home Entertainment), Saturday Night Live: Season 1 (Universal) and Welcome Back Kotter: Season 1 (Warner Home Video).
- Best 1960s Series: The Addams Family Vol. 1 (Fox/MGM), The Archie Show: The Complete Series (Genius Products), Get Smart: The Complete Series (Time Life/HBO) and McHale's Navy: Season 1 (Shout! Factory).
- Best 1950s Series: The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (Shout! Factory), Adventures of Superman: Seasons 5 & 6 (Warner), Gunsmoke: Season 1 (Paramount) and The Johnny Carson Show (Shout! Factory).
- Best Animated Series: Dungeons & Dragons: The Complete Series (BCI), Family Guy Vol. 5 (Fox), The Simpsons: Season 10 (Fox) and South Park: Season 10 (Paramount/Comedy Central).
- Best Children's Series: The Best of Clifford the Big Red Dog (Lionsgate), Dinosaurs: Seasons 3 & 4 (Disney), The Muppet Show: Season 2 and That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana: Mixed Up, Mashed Up Edition (Disney).
- Best Reality Series: The Girls Next Door: Season 2 (Fox), Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List — Season 1 (Universal), MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge — Season 1 (Magnolia) and Survivor: Vanuatu (Paramount).
- Best Variety Series: The Best of Chappelle's Show (Paramount/Comedy Central), The Dick Cavett Show: Hollywood Greats (Shout! Factory), The Best of Hootenanny (Shout! Factory) and The Tomorrow Show: Tom Snyder's Electric Kool-Aid Talk Show (Shout! Factory).
- Best One-Season Wonder: Dane Cook: Tourgasm (HBO), The Dresden Files: Season 1 (Lionsgate), Kidnapped: The Complete Series (Sony Pictures) and That's My Bush: The Definitive Collection (Paramount/Comedy Central).
- Best Miniseries/Made-for-TV Movie: Broken Trail (Sony Pictures), Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (HBO), The Lost Room (Lionsgate), and Roots: 30th Anniversary Edition (Warner).
- Best Foreign TV Series: Beck Mongolian Chop Squad Vol. 1 (Funimation), Doctor Who: Series 2 (BBC Video), DragonBall Z: Season 1 (Funimation) and Hex (Sony Pictures).
- Best TV Documentary: Diana: Last Days of a Princess (Genius Products), The Journalist and the Jihadi (HBO), Planet Earth (BBC) and When the Levees Broke (HBO).
- Best Bonus Materials: Lost: Season 2, Masters of Horror: Season 1 (Starz/Anchor Bay), Rome: Season 2 (HBO) and Seinfeld: Season 8.
- Best Complete-Series Set: Get Smart, M*A*S*H (Fox), Six Feet Under (HBO) and The West Wing (Warner).