Brian Wilson's 'Smile' Shines8 Mar, 2006 By: Jessica Wolf
Brian Wilson's Smile, a documentary about the troubled path to one of rock's most celebrated, and mysterious, record albums, won top honors at the second annual Music DVD Awards, presented March 7 in Beverly Hills, Calif.
The documentary, released by Rhino Entertainment, was named Best of Show, beating more than 100 contenders that were entered into the annual contest, produced by Home Media Retailing magazine.
Judges praised Wilson's candor in chronicling the production of the Smile album, which he never finished. Smile also won high marks for its audio, video and technical elements.
A panel of entertainment journalists judged the contest, in which music DVDs released in calendar 2005 competed in eight categories.
The other winners:
- Best Compilation: Barbra Streisand: The Television Specials, Rhino Entertainment.
- Best DualDisc: Talking Heads: DualDisc Brick, Rhino Entertainment.
- Best Music Documentary: Bob Dylan: No Direction Home, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment.
- Best New Concert: Green Day: Bullet in a Bible, Reprise Records.
- Best TV Concert: Paul McCartney in Red Square, A&E Home Video.
- Best Vintage Concert: Cream: Farewell Concert, Image Entertainment.
- Best Special Features/Bonus Materials: The Who: Tommy and Quadrophenia Live, Rhino Entertainment.
The second annual Music DVD Awards were part of the second annual Music DVD Conference, produced by Home Media Retailing in partnership with The Hollywood Reporter, DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group and the Video Software Dealers Association.
Home Media Retailing is published by Questex Media Group.