Log in

Picture This (DVD Review)

13 Jul, 2008 By: Anne Sherber

Picture This

Street 7/22/08
$26.98 DVD
Not rated.
Stars Ashley Tisdale, Robbie Amell, Kevin Pollak, Lauren Collins, Shenae Grimes, Cindy Busby.

If the recent spate of movies that includes Mean Girls and High School Musical is to be believed, girls in high school spend approximately 85% of their time thinking of ways to be mean to other girls who are further down the social food chain and the other 15% of the time acting on their worst impulses.

In Picture This, Tisdale plays Mandy, a high-school senior who, like virtually every other girl in school, has a crush on the dreamy Drew (Amell). When she lands a date with the “It” boy, she thinks she's died and gone to social heaven. That is, until, through the elaborate machinations of Drew's ex-girlfriend, her father grounds her.

But for every one of the mean girl's increasingly diabolical attempts to keep Mandy away from Drew, Mandy conjures up an equal and opposite reaction, all the while convincing her father, through the creative use of her picture phone, that she is at home studying for her economics final.

Picture This is a cute, if familiar, little confection that features a couple of appealing performances. Although she's certainly pretty, Tisdale does a good job of locating her inner geek. Also good is veteran character actor Pollak as Mandy's overprotective yet clueless father.

Tisdale will certainly attract consumers to this made-for-TV movie. But even those teens and tweens who have been living in small eastern European countries and have not seen High School Musical 63 times will enjoy Picture This.

Add Comment