Vimeo Bows Transactional VOD Film Slate13 Nov, 2012 By: Erik Gruenwedel
Vimeo Nov. 13 launched a slate of six films on its nascent transactional video-on-demand platform, www.vimeo.com/movies, which allows users to stream movies and documentaries via smart phones, tablets, and connected TVs with Vimeo’s apps.
Filmmakers upload content, set pricing, geographical availability and rental window with Vimeo taking a cut of each transaction. Rental fees range from $4.99 to $9. Films include:
• Sons of the Clouds: The Last Colony, is a documentary from director Alvaro Longoria sheds light on the political and human rights issues facing the people of the Western Sahara. Rental is $5 for seven days in the U.S. and Canada.
• We Are Legion: The Story of Hacktivists, is a documentary ($4.99 for 48 hours in the U.S.) from Brian Knappenberger that takes a complex culture and history of Anonymous.
• Beauty Is Embarrassing, is an inspiring documentary ($5 for seven days) featuring the life and current times of one of America’s most important artists, Wayne White.
• Sunny is an action sports film ($5 for 30 days) featuring Tom Wallisch and Parker White (among others) skiing on both mountains and in urban areas in places like the dark northern landscapes of Scandinavia, Alaska, Japan and British Columbia.
• Jeremy Jones’ Further ($9 for 60 days) explores the world's most remote mountain terrain while continuing Jones' mission to camp deep in the backcountry and on the summits of un-ridden lines to access nearly vertical spines and wide-open powder fields.
• Shut Up and Play the Hits ($6.99 for 72 hours in the U.K.) captures the LCD Soundsystem’s last concert and serves as an intimate portrait of front man James Murphy as he navigates the 48 hours surrounding the show.
“Our goal is to provide an open and flexible platform that allows all creators and content owners to earn revenue directly from their audiences,” CEO Kerry Trainor said in a statement. “We’re really excited to offer this selection of high quality movies in our preview, and we look forward to working with creators worldwide whose stories have a clear home on Vimeo.”