WonderCon Returns to Anaheim March 29-3124 Mar, 2013 By: John Latchem
The annual WonderCon pop culture confab, from the producers of the San Diego Comic-Con International, returns to Southern California for a second year while renovations to its usual venue in San Francisco are being completed.
This year’s show, held March 29-31 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, Calif. (across the street from Disneyland), features a number of events that should pique the interest of the home entertainment enthusiast:
• A panel saluting the 35th anniversary of “Battlestar Galactica” is slated for 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Friday, March 29, in Room 300DE, hosted by actor Richard Hatch, with science advisor Kevin Grazier, writer-producer Michael Taylor, surprise guests and a 35th anniversary trailer screening.
• Two panels will focus on the Warner Archives, which offers DVDs manufactured on demand. The first, held March 29 from 1 to 2 p.m. in Room 207BCD , delves into the stories behind pulp-inspired television and film with "Tarzan" and "Doc Savage" star Ron Ely, among others. On Sunday, March 31, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Room 213AB, animation expert Jerry Beck leads a presentation of rare animated and live-action releases from Hanna-Barbera, Rankin-Bass and the Warner library of Saturday morning classics.
• Geek & Sundry executive producers Felicia Day (“The Guild,” Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog) and Sheri Bryant offer a glimpse of what’s new at the YouTube channel from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. March 29 in Room 300DE.
• The "Star Trek Into High-Definition" panel beams down March 29 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in Room 300DE, as Brannon Braga (“Star Trek: Enterprise” co-creator and executive producer), Mike and Denise Okuda (project consultants), and Roger Lay Jr. (Blu-ray producer) follow up their standing-room-only panel from last year’s Comic-Con International with more insider information, previews and a Q&A about the Blu-ray releases of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and “Star Trek: Enterprise.”
• Warner Home Video will hold the world premiere screening of its latest DC Universe animated superhero movie, Superman: Unbound, from 6 to 8 p.m. March 29 in the Arena. The movie arrives on DVD and Blu-ray May 7.
• Sunday, March 31 at 2 p.m. in room 300AB, Warner Home Video will screen Lego Batman: The Movie — DC Superheroes Unite, which is slated for release on DVD and Blu-ray May 21.
For a complete schedule, visit comic-con.org/wca.